The West Coast Officials Association (WCOA) is based in Tampa, Florida, being a premiere association for the sports of basketball and football in Hillsborough and Pasco counties! We have approximately 425 members, who are active at the collegiate, high school and youth levels. You may join by clicking on the Join Us link on the page. Experience is helpful, but not essential as we have some of the best training and mentoring programs in the state. Depending on your officiating experience level, you will be placed at the correct level to begin or continue officiating your sport. Our officials are active participants in several state wide tournaments, as well as our football and basketball crews being selected yearly to officiate FHSAA state contests. New officials are needed in both sports, so please register today and a board member of that specific sport will personally contact you.
We officiate football and basketball in Hillsborough and Pasco counties, at the Varsity, JV, Freshman, Middle School and youth levels, with activities virtually all year long.
The purposes of the WCOA are:
- To establish and maintain an organization that will promote through the actions, attitude and leadership of its members, the maintaining of a high standard of ethics, good sportsmanship, respect and encouragement of fair play with cooperation and better understanding among officials, athletic directors, coaches, players, media and spectators, all rules, regulations and policies adopted by the Florida High School Athletic Association (FHSAA) and the National Federation of High School Athletic Association (NFHS ).
- To sponsor, coordinate and promote programs that will provide training and continuing education to officials in order to improve their judgment, game management, knowledge of the rules, conditioning and opportunities for advancement while providing competent, well-trained and unbiased contest officials for the youths that are participating in youth leagues, junior high, freshman, and high school athletic contests.
- To recruit and encourage and provide an equal opportunity for a diversity of its members that reflect the community that WCOA serves, including, but not limited to, minority and female members, with respect to contest assignments, advancement, ratings and selection for leadership positions, regardless of sex, national origin, race, age, disability or religion.
- To collect membership dues from its members in furtherance of WCOA’s objectives, to prudently expend all funds received and disburse the net interest and other earnings that may be received in satisfaction of its operating expenditures and expenses and in support of meritorious projects which may further its objectives, while operate exclusively in any manner for the promotion of social welfare as will qualify WCOA as an exempt organization under Section 501©(4) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as amended, or under corresponding provision of any subsequent federal tax laws.
- To perform all other acts and carry on and conduct all other activities necessary or useful in connection with or incidental to the accomplishment of any of the purposes set forth herein to the full extent permitted by the laws of the State of Florida, while disseminating the aims and activities of the WCOA to the general public in a manner intended to evoke public involvement and support.
"Every call you make half the people are very happy, and half the people are very angry. So you have to kind of learn how to tune that out."
Greg Kaiser, VP - Football